• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption by terminating rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Indira Bland

What is the name of your state? georgia.
i am trying to have my husband adopt my daughter by using one of those do-it-yourself kits. however, the where abouts of her birth father are unknown. do i need to submit any kind of abandonment forms to the court along with my petition for adoption?can i just use a letter that was sent registered to his last known address that was returned undeliverable?he has not had any contact with us in 4 years.that is abandonment, correct?

B

Boxcarbill

Before there can be an adoption, there must be a termination of parental right either by voluntary relinquishment of parental rights or involuntarily by a court trial. A parent whose rights are are sought to be terminated is entitled to service of process (i.e. notice of the lawsuit which provides the parent with the opportunity to defend against the action if they chose.)

Termination of Parental Rights and Step-parent Adoption are not a simple do-itself-project, assuming that you wish for the results to be binding. I suggest that you hire a lawyer familiar with the laws in your state to accomplish this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">