• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Goldfingerjohn

What is the name of your state? Illinois

i was recently caught sitting in the car with friends and we were done smoking.....when the cop searched us he found a wide variety of assorted pieces and and under 2 grams of grass. He said he could wait up to 18 months to charge us on this but im not sure if he was bluffing.....he basically let us go with, i think the intent to scare someone into talking. my question is, does he actually have that power to "Postpone" the law like he said or if that would be obstruction of justice on his part and a complete bluff

HomeGuru

Goldfingerjohn said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

i was recently caught sitting in the car with friends and we were done smoking.....when the cop searched us he found a wide variety of assorted pieces and and under 2 grams of grass. He said he could wait up to 18 months to charge us on this but im not sure if he was bluffing.....he basically let us go with, i think the intent to scare someone into talking. my question is, does he actually have that power to "Postpone" the law like he said or if that would be obstruction of justice on his part and a complete bluff

**A: did the cop ask for your ID's and take down the vital information?

G

Goldfingerjohn

drug charges???

yes...he asked for ID's but i didnt pay attention to what he did with them....he also made a point to tell each person their dollar total in fines that were hanging in the balance....would it also be a good idea to call him since he gave me his card...if so, what should i ask/say?

Bravo8

He is not "postponing" the law, most likely he was referring to the Statute of Limitations - that is the time period within he must file charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">