• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncooperative (ex)spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lsample

State of Colorado...

A friend is in the midst of divorcing her husband (it's been an ongoing struggle for 2 years). They no longer live together - he lives with his girlfriend. There is one child who lives with her, but he gets visitation. He is paying child support. She is living in an apartment where they are going to require proof of divorce in order to allow her to renew her lease. He is dragging his feet on filing the paperwork because he "now" feels that he paying too much in child support (he decided this when he moved in with his girlfriend). He has told her he wants to get a lawyer involved, and knows she cannot afford to do this. Without the paperwork being filed, she is stuck. As stated, she cannot afford a lawyer at all, and is now having difficulty paying her bills because he decided to cut back on the support that he was paying.

What are her options? She told me she called "legal aid" and they told her they were not taking on any new cases.

Is there something she can file that will force him to appear in front of some mediator?

She is a good person, and good mom, and deserves to be in a better situation, and I want to try and help her if I can.

Any adivce is greatly appreciated.

You can email me if necessary at [email protected]

-Larry

stephenk

what is preventing your friend from filling the divorce paperwork? Why does your friend have to be divorced in order to renew her lease?

L

lsample

I think she thinks she needs legal counsel to do the paperwork - actually, I have no idea if that is true or not.

As for the lease thing...all she has said is that the apartment people want proof that there is no chance of him moving in. I am thinking that the complex is structured such that they give discounted rates to single parents...not 100% sure.

L

lsample

I got a better response to the questions above...

She has not filed the paperwork yet for 2 reasons:

1 - the cost of doing this

2 - she is afraid that if SHE files for the divorce, it may ruin whatever alimony claims she has (I don't know if this is true or not).

The apartment question is still a little unclear - it sounds like they scale their rent rates dependant upon a person income and living status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">