• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

italiamom

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a 15 yr old son that I as the "step parent" adopted when he was 10 yrs old. I have been with him since 1 yr of age. The adoption was pettitioned by his biological mom. It was finalized less than 2 months later. There has never been consistant visitation as a matter of fact before adoption there was years between visits. My family has now temporaily moved within an hour drive of bio mom. In the last 3 months bio mom has seen son 2 times, now we have been getting 5-6 calls an evening, requests for over nite visits, threats to have adoption reversed. Our son is scared and worried over these circumstances. What legal recourse can we take?

stephenk

Tell bio mom to pound sand. You dont have to allow her any contact with YOUR son, especially if your son does not want any contact with her.

She has no legal ground to stand on regarding overturning the adoption.

tell her if she keeps harassing your son and your family you will get a restraining order against her. It's that simple.

J

John Galt

Keep a tab of her abuse and keep asking questions here when needed. Knowing and understanding more than her will eventually wear her down. Then her threats become useless because you know better.

j g

Nothing can over turn the adoption without your consent.

D

dorenephilpot

Unless you have a post-adoption contact agreement that was signed by all the parties and approved by the court at the time of the adoption, she has no more rights to impose herself on YOUR child than I do.

Any visits you allow her now and in the future are out of the goodness of your heart, and you owe absolutely nothing to her if there is no such court-approved document.

H

hkolln

My husband in 98 adopted my biological daughter from my previous marriage and we are in the state of Florida. My ex signed away parental rights. On our adoption agreement it states in the state of Florida you have 1 yr from finalization to contest. You have no legal reason to allow visitation unless your son wants it. I would tell them NO DICE! She can not overturn the adoption after so long..don't worry about the manipulation on her part. She's just trying to manipulate you into doing what she says.

If she keeps harrassing you go get an order of protection saying she can not contact you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">