• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessicajanet76

What is the name of your state? Florida

my husband and i are filing for divorce and we were not going to go thru the courts, we are trying to do it simply... we've been married for 4years and now he is trying to take everything away from me... ( iguess that is not so simple) he wants to leave me with all my debt, which is about $12,000 and no cash and now trying to take my car away...the car is in his name but i have been driving it and have been making payments on it. i m trying to find out the correct laws and what to do? what is rightfully mine or equal...
can u please help

C

cyana

FL is an "equitable division" state

Unless your CC debts were acquired well before your marriage they would be considered "marital debt". Same with the car. What you may want to ask yourself is how much "marital debt" do you two have? If the credit debt in your name, whether "separate" (acquired before marriage) is *only* $12K (I am not saying that it is an insignificant debt) and your "marital debt" is around $30K including your $12K (just an example) and both your incomes are approximately equal, you may only get a 50/50 split, meaning you could be liable for $15K instead of $12K.

If you want to do this simply I suggest you pick up one of the several "How to get a divorce in FL" books, write your settlement proposal up (be fair), and use it for opening a dialog with your soon to be ex. Good sites for learning divorce laws by state are www.divorcenet.com and www.divorcesource.com. If your stbx is intractable, though, you might have to bring a lawyer into this. But if your only sticking points are the your debt and the car and if you do not own a home or have children, and you are both working, I think you two can work this out yourselves. If you have a home and children I would bring an attorney your divorce.

Good luck.

J

jessicajanet76

DIVORCE

IS IT NORMAL FOR HIM TO THREATEN ME BY TELLING ME HE WILL LEAVE ME NOTHING? I MEAN NORMAL IN DOVORCE FOR ONE TO SAY THAT? IM JUST CONCERENED THAT HE WILL SCREW ME ONE WAY OR ANOTHER... I JUST DON'T WANT TO BE LEFT WITH NOTHING, COULD THAT BE POSSIBLE? CURRENTLY IM LIVING WITH FAMILY... WE DON'T HAVE A HOME BECAUSE WHEN WE GOT MARRIED WE MOVED OVER SEAS RIGHT AWAY AND I DIDN'T WORK BECAUSE OF OUR SITUATION, NOW SINCE IVE BEEN BACK I FINISHED SOME SCHOOLING AND NOW WORKING BUT IM BARELY MAKING IT... I WOULDN'T WANT HALF BUT ATLEAST SOMETHING TO HELP GET STARTED WITH MY LIFE...HE KEEPS TELLING ME THAT THE COURTS WILL TAKE INTO CONSIDERATIOIN THE THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR ME FINANCIALLY THROUGH OUT OUR MARRIAGE, MEAING THE CLOTHES I BOUGHT, REGUALR SPENDING, EVERY DAY LIFE... IF I HAVE RECEIPTS TO EVERYTHING THAT COULD HELP, CORRECT? OR DOES THAT NOT MATTER?
THANKS....

J

julia roberts

I can understand. I'm the beging my soon to be be ex husband agreeded to a no fault divorce. I had been seprated from him four 3 months. I meet my current boyfriend. When my soon to be ex found out all of this.

1. took away my car.
2. took away my child and wouldn't let me see him
3. Had me fired from several jobs
4. I didn't get to see my son until He got temp custody.

Just DON'T TRUST HIM! just know that they will sling mud worse than you and come out smelling like a rose

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">