• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know where to find him...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Soozie

What is the name of your state? Maryland

We married while he was still working in another state. Got married in Alabama, he was employed in New York. After 7 months of visits, and never taking up residence together, we decided to seperate. This was over 3 years ago and I have no clue where he is residing now and would like to file for divorce. What would I have to do to get a divorce without his presence?

LegalBeagle

Soozie said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

We married while he was still working in another state. Got married in Alabama, he was employed in New York. After 7 months of visits, and never taking up residence together, we decided to seperate. This was over 3 years ago and I have no clue where he is residing now and would like to file for divorce. What would I have to do to get a divorce without his presence?
You need to consult with a local attorney.. the process, whilst not overly complicated, does require you to follow an exact process that would be better handled by an attorney.

S

Soozie

Thank you. I have every intention of contacting an attorney and would never go about it without one. I should have stated that this is more curiosity than anything. I have heard of something about having to post a legal ad in the newspaper and giving him a certain amount of time to respond, however what happens when I have absolutely no idea where he could be located or has lived within the last 3 years as he travels alot? Would this ad be posted in my area (which i'm pretty sure he has never been), or would it be the last area I *knew* he was residing? As I said, it's curiosity, and the fact i'm a worrier in the worse sense doesn't help matters. It would greatly ease my mind^^

LegalBeagle

Soozie said:
Thank you. I have every intention of contacting an attorney and would never go about it without one. I should have stated that this is more curiosity than anything. I have heard of something about having to post a legal ad in the newspaper and giving him a certain amount of time to respond, however what happens when I have absolutely no idea where he could be located or has lived within the last 3 years as he travels alot? Would this ad be posted in my area (which i'm pretty sure he has never been), or would it be the last area I *knew* he was residing? As I said, it's curiosity, and the fact i'm a worrier in the worse sense doesn't help matters. It would greatly ease my mind^^
Last known area..

stephenk

are you saying he has no family or friends that you can contact about his whereabouts? You said he travels a lot. Is that part of his job with a company, whose name you know?

If you know his Social Security number, many private investigators can run his number and find out who is employed with.

S

Soozie

He has no family that I know of, his parents are deceased and he was an only child. He also doesn't work for just one company, he at the time was contracted by different companies. Unfortunately, I do not recall his SS #, so I probably couldn't go that route either. Ahh well, I called and scheduled a consultation with my friends lawyer. Thank you for your suggestions^^

LegalBeagle

stephenk said:
for social security number, find one of your old tax returns if you filed jointly.
She does not need to spend money/time searching for him in this manner. Our poster can petition for divorce without knowing his exact location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">