• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbtn

What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE

My husband and I are separated and are in the process of getting a divorce. It has been agreed that he remain in the home and we will continue to own the property jointly and each pay 50% of the mortgage. I need to know if he should remarry and I discontinue paying 1/2 of the mortgage do I relinquish my rights as an owner of the property? My name is on the deed with his as owner of the property.

annefan

If he remarries, you will still be legally obligated to pay such portion to the mortgage company. In order to alleviate future dilemma, many divorcing couples have the resident who remains refinance and remove the other's name from any debt or ownership obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">