• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trake

What is the name of your state? Indiana
my son is 9 years old and wants my husband to adopt him and my husband feels the same way. The biological father is not on the birth certificate. I have not seen him since I was 6 months pregnant all those years ago. I have no idea where he is or how to contact him. We were in school at a different state than either one of us was from. I don't receive child support and never wanted to. What do we need to do to make this adoption possible?

T

Trake

no. I wanted to know if not knowing anything about the biological fathers where abouts are going to be a problem. Also does he have any rights now?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Trake said:
no. I wanted to know if not knowing anything about the biological fathers where abouts are going to be a problem.

My response:

Not really. There are legal procedures that need to be accomplished in this regard, but no, it's just tedious to do.

IAAL

T

Trake

do we have to find him first, or does it really matter since he has never been in the picture?

Seanscott

Go to a family attorney and have your husband file a petition to adopt with your consent. That will start the ball rolling toward finding the bio-dad.

Before bio-dad's rights can be terminated, paternity must be established. The court will attempt to find him and he will have a chance to contest the adoption. He also has the option to consent to the adoption.

If he fights the adoption, he will have to explain why he has shown no interest in the child. Your attorney will ask for his rights to be terminated on the grounds of abandonment, lack of interest, and the child's best interest.

I'd bet the rent money that he doesn't fight you.

I'm not an attorney, but we recently finished our own stepparent adoption in Indiana. It was similar to your situation.

Good luck to you. Feel free to ask anything at all about our case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">