• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prove-Up Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tntkb

I live in California. I just got out of court very confused. My (soon to be X) husband didn't show up and the judge said I have to come back for a prove-up hearing next month. What does Prove-Up mean? Do I need to file more papers? I did file a bifurcated status divorce. We were only married for 11 months and have no property together. He did steal from me to the tune of about $20,000. However, I was willing to disregard this just to have the divorce over with. While married I paid for everything. All the bills, everything for the kids (we had kids from past marriages, none together), and anytime we went out. He never worked or helped with anything. He and his 4 kids moved out of my home (that I owned before we were married) and took 1/2 my stuff with them (while I was at work). Now me and my 3 kids are alone, really struggling and he and his kids are living in luxury with his rich parents. Arrrggggg! Its so frustrating!

Prove-Up??? Again What is Prove-Up????

Thanks for listening :-}

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tntkb said:
I live in California. I just got out of court very confused. My (soon to be X) husband didn't show up and the judge said I have to come back for a prove-up hearing next month. What does Prove-Up mean? Do I need to file more papers? I did file a bifurcated status divorce. We were only married for 11 months and have no property together. He did steal from me to the tune of about $20,000. However, I was willing to disregard this just to have the divorce over with. Prove-Up???

My response:

It means what the phrase says. Your husband lost because he didn't appear to contest your allegations. You win automatically. Since you made a claim for 20K, and now the judge wants to see the proof of your allegations, and your arguments of, whether in fact, your husband does owe you that money and, if so, in what amount.

No, you just bring your body and your documents back to court.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">