• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Status Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RescueMe122

I live in PA. Here is my question. I rec'd my final divorce decree in April 2002. In this decree, it states that "wife shall have primary physical custody" and "husband" shall have secondary physical custody (of child). Furthermore, the decree agreed to by both parties states that in the tax year 2001 and all odd years thereafter, the wife shall claim the child as an exemption. In the tax year 2002 and all even years thereafter, the husband shall claim the child as an exemption. What I have just found out, via another site, is that I still may be able to file as Head of Household. I meet all the qualifying tests for HOH, including the one where I pay for at least or more than 1/2 of the cost of keeping of the home (my mortgage payment is double what his rent is, utilities are more, etc.). Filing HOH would give me a little bit more of a deduction vs Single filing. I guess I am just trying to find out or confirm that this information is, in fact, correct. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. :D

abezon

You file HH every year, but only claim the child in even years. In odd years, you list the child as a qualifying child next to the HH filing status box. As custodial parent, you claim the child care credit and EIC every year if they apply.

R

RescueMe122

Thanks for response!

This is exactly what I thought and planned on doing. No EIC or Child Care tho. Make too much for EIC and no child care costs involved! Thanks a bunch!!!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">