• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug and weapon charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladynevins

What is the name of your state? New York

my boyfriend was charged with 17 grams of crack cocaine and weapons charge. Neither was found on him. Was being stopped for not wearing seatbelt, paniced and fled. Arresting police claimed they saw him throw coc and gun out of window. When apprehended, they took him to location where other officers found items. His prints were not found on gun. Can he beat this?
For research on cases, where should I start?

HomeGuru

ladynevins said:
What is the name of your state? New York

my boyfriend was charged with 17 grams of crack cocaine and weapons charge. Neither was found on him. Was being stopped for not wearing seatbelt, paniced and fled. Arresting police claimed they saw him throw coc and gun out of window. When apprehended, they took him to location where other officers found items. His prints were not found on gun. Can he beat this?
For research on cases, where should I start?

**A: Did he throw those items out the car window? Does he have an existing criminal record? If tested for drugs, would he pass the test? Did the vehicle he was driving have a current license, registration and safety check? Did he have current insurance?

H

hgrego1015

So the police got into a pursuit with your boyfriend, and they caught him. They just happened to drive back to a predetermined spot along the pursuit route where thy found dope and a gun, and they decided to "stick" him with the charge.

Instead of asking "Can he beat this?" You should ask where can he get help for an obvious drug problem. He ran because he had dope and a gun. When he realized that he was going to get caught, he ditched it. Happens all the time.

N

NorthDA

boyfriend

It's obvious you want to help your boyfriend. But he has a serious legal problem. Unless you are a criminal defense attorney, your legal research is going to be about as fruitful as if you tried to perform surgery on him after viewing a website about it. I have to assume you came here to try to gain some reassurance for yourself that he is not completely screwed rather than try to prepare a legal defense for him.

If its any consolation, there is no such thing as a "sure bet" for the prosecution. As a prosecutor, I've seen it personally. Your boyfriend is in a bad spot right now. Be his girlfriend, not his lawyer.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, IM NOT YOUR ATTORNEY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">