• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card split in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indyman2003

What is the name of your state? indiana
divorced in 11/98, ex-wife responsible for 3 credit cards, i took 2x's the amount of debt, her balances have not hardly dropped, she was only authorized user, it is now 1/2003.
is there anyway to "force" her to pay them off in a resonable time period? i have not pushed the issue because we have a 7 yr old daughter and she will use her as a bargining chip. please advise.

VeronicaGia

"she was only authorized user"

Are your names on the cards or are you in any way responsible to the credit card company for payment? Is your credit being affected?

ellencee

I see the previous lists and rules were appropriately followed.

JETX--you changed your name while I was gone?!

I

indyman2003

i had the cards long b4 we were married but with zero balances. all charges were made after marriage, most were made by her after separation. i did not know she had the cards until the bill came in. at that point i took her off as authorized user. yes, she has hurt my credit, the divorce degree specifically stated what she is responsible for, that has helped in some occations. even have notes on credit reports stating she is responsible. lately she is paying on time but nothing to bring any balances down. just was hoping there was some way to get this cleaned up. i have been very patient with this, just want it to end.:(

VeronicaGia

Maybe I didn't make my questions clear, either that or I'm having a brain cramp and don't understand your answer.

Is your credit currently being hurt by these debts? Are you in any way currently responsible, in the credit card companies eyes for this debt. Can you actually use these cards yourself? If so, can you close these accounts?

The problem is this: A divorce degree may have debt separated out by each ex-spouse. However, the credit card company has the signature of either or both person stating he/she is responsible for the debt. The credit card company usually doesn't give a darn what a family judge says; the credit card company has a signature that a specific person is responsible for paying the card. They will indeed hold that person responsible.

So, you can take this back to a family judge as a contempt charge. I do not know if you can ask the judge to somehow force her to close these accounts or sign something of her own removing all liability from you (maybe someone else can help).

Or maybe you can contact the credit card companies and ask them to remove your name from any/all liability and have them deal with getting her to sign with them showing her sole liability for the debt.

B

Boxcarbill

indyman2003 said:
i had the cards long b4 we were married but with zero balances. all charges were made after marriage, most were made by her after separation. i did not know she had the cards until the bill came in. at that point i took her off as authorized user. yes, she has hurt my credit, the divorce degree specifically stated what she is responsible for, that has helped in some occations. even have notes on credit reports stating she is responsible. lately she is paying on time but nothing to bring any balances down. just was hoping there was some way to get this cleaned up. i have been very patient with this, just want it to end.:(
If you had the cards long before you were married then the creditor extended credit to you--i.e. the creditor contracted with you. A court order can only bind the parties before the court. The creditor was not a party to the divorce suit and because of that the creditor is not bound by the divorce order. The court cannot alter the contract between you and the creditor. The divorce order makes her responsible as between the two of you for payment of the credit card balance but if she fails to pay, the creditor will look to you for payment. If you have to pay off the balance in order to save your credit, then you can sue her for reimbursement of the amount of the debt that you paid but which she was ordered to pay. So if you want it to end, then pay off the creditor.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">