• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperation advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracibest

I live in Florida and am thinking about getting seperated. My husband has already moved out and I am still paying all of the car payment for the car that he drives. What measures can I take to get my name off of the car and how much will it cost? Can he still make me responsible for the payments? If we are not getting divorced yet, what do I need to do in order to see that the bills that are in both of our names get paid by both of us? Can somebody plaes offer me some advice???

B

Boxcarbill

If you contracted for the loan on the car, then you are liable for the debt unless the creditor is willing to take you off the debt and I cannot think of a single reason for the creditor to do this. If the creditor isn't willing to remove your name for the debt, then the only way to get rid of the obligation is to pay it.

The only way to insure that the bills that are in both your names are paid is either to pay them yourself or to have a partner that is as motivated to keep a good credit rating as you are. The creditor contracted with both of you. The creditor can look to either or both for payment and if the creditor doesn't get paid, he can turn it on both parties' credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">