• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overseas Married Status tax questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walkerdavis

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am on a 2 year "married status" assignment in Saudi Arabia. I have two questions regarding taxes. 1) My family and I live in a compound. My company provides the housing and we were told that this was the only choice for accomodation. I have been told that due to this, the housing is not counted as taxable income. Is this so? 2) My two young daughters attend an American/ British school here. This also is the only option for schools and my company pays the tuition (lot of $$$). Is this counted as taxable income to me? Many thanks....

abezon

1. Yes. If you must live in the compound, free housing is not taxable to you & you can file form 2555-EZ.

2. No. This is a fringe benefit. A very nice one, but it's still a fringe benefit & not taxable to you.

W

walkerdavis

Thanks for the input. Would you mind letting me know where this is mentioned in the tax code? Thanks.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">