• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ESOP/ employee stock ownership plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

norman25

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I was laid off of my job of 22 years due to down sizing, the company had an ESOP plan for the employees and is getting ready to destribute the money. When I was laid off , we ended up loosing our home, and I have become disabled due to Major depression. Is there anyway I could use this money to buy a home without incurring tax on the money, because, if there is tax on the money, there would not be enough to buy a home. Is it possible to rollover the money into an IRA then borrow from that?

Thankyou

abezon

The answer depends on how the plan was set up, how you have been purchasing the stocks, and many other factors. Consult the plan administrators, then double check their answers with a financial advisor.

IF you can roll the stocks into an IRA, you can pull out $10,000 penalty-free to buy a home if you haven't owned a home for 2 years. You can also pull out money penalty-free if the distribution is due to disability. Whether your depression qualifies as a disability depends on your doctor's opinion or SS determination.

N

norman25

abezon,

Thank you for the Information, I never applied for disability throught Social Security, however, I am drawing a Veterans disability Pension due to my illness.
Is it still possible to use enough of the money to buy a home without incurring taxes?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">