• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on rights of father who didn't know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shania Twain

What is the name of your state? I live in Mississippi. My husband of three years and the father of my son has recently been contacted by a ex-girlfriend. She claims that he is the father of her six year old daughter and wants him to sign over his rights so that her new husband can adopt the child. My husband had done figuring and the timing of their relationship and the pregnancy does not match. She claims there is no name for the father on the birth certificate but he needs to sign over rights with no paternity test, unless we want to pay for one. It is a fact that she has contacted 2 other men wanting simply their signature so the adoption can take place. My husband feels strongly that he is not the father and does not want this situation to ruin our lives. What can we do? Can she proceed with adoption without a signature if the father is not known or identified? Can we sue her for slander? What are our rights to confidency of the entire matter? Who pays for paternity test?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">