• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freedom from religion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kurgin

What is the name of your state? missouri
i need to know if i can be forced to attend church as a part of my job. i work as a personal assistant to a disabled person and am being directed to take him to church services. i have done what i can to make other arrangements with my workplace and through other staff members. my supervisor's advice was to wear headphones or read a book during the service, which i find disrespectful. do i have any legal recourse?

HomeGuru

Kurgin said:
i need to know if i can be forced to attend church as a part of my job. i work as a personal assistant to a disabled person and am being directed to take him to church services. i have done what i can to make other arrangements with my workplace and through other staff members. my supervisor's advice was to wear headphones or read a book during the service, which i find disrespectful. do i have any legal recourse?

**A: may I ask why you do not want to go to church? Even if you are an atheist or have your own church or religion, your employer is not asking you to join that church or religion or share the same belief. You are asked to provide proper care and duties for your patient/client.

CMSC

Kurgin said:

Not in that line of work, especially if you accepted the job knowing you would be providing support for daily routines. It is a somewhat iffy subject really. I worked in day support for a developmentally disabled facility and it was in my contract that my job was to deal with daily outings etc. for the client. Gain some control and just do it out of respect for your client. Are you providing care for someone who is physically or developmentally disabled? If they are physically disabled and don't absolutely need you to sit IN church with them, make yourself comfortable outside. If they are developmentally disabled and you are providing support, grin and bear it. Sorry, I have been down this road before and if you knew you were to provide this type of support and you accepted the job, you can either quit or deal with it.

B

Boxcarbill

Kurgin said:
Your question is posted in the " U.S. Supreme Court and Constitution category" and so I'm going to respond on that basis. The first amendment, which contains the "free exercise" and the "establishment clause" guarantees the individual freedom to make religious choices or to choose no religion at all, prohibits federal congress from enacting a law which would infringe upon this right. With the adoption of the fourteeth amendment, states are also prohibited from enacting laws which would deprive you of these rights. The problem here is that there is neither a federal nor state congress which has enacted a law which is allegedly intruding upon your constitutional rights.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">