• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possesion charge / it wasn't mine plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seowalker

What is the name of your state? California

My best friend was pulled over in a truck that was not registered to him with a large amount of meth, scale, baggies, and a couple of pipes. He was pulled over because of a light out on his license plate, but then arrested because he had a suspended license and had warrants for previous driving on a suspended license.
Upon arrest, the officers searched the vehicle, without asking him and found the drugs and other things. He was then charged for possesion with intent to sell. He is currently serving 15 days in county jail with 3 days left for the warrants. His court date for the drug charge is on the 27th. My question is, will they release him when the 4 days for the warrants are done or still hold him? His bail was $90000 at the time of arrest, but the majority of that was due to the warrants. Also I need to add that the warrants were "failure to appear" charges to those driving on a suspended tickets. Also is there any chance that he can get away with saying that it wasn't his because the vehicle he was driving was not registered to him?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

seowalker said:
What is the name of your state? California

"Also is there any chance that he can get away with saying that it wasn't his because the vehicle he was driving was not registered to him?"

====================================

My response:

Absolutely!

That's a terrific defense!

Defendant: "uh, your honor . . . even though I was in the truck, and the stuff was sitting right next to me, I should be fully exonerated of the charges, and the case should be dismissed, because, well, the truck wasn't mine and the stuff wasn't mine."

Judge: "Bail is exonerated, and case dismissed. Go in peace, my son."

IAAL

racer72

Judges hear that lamest of the lame excuses daily. Your friend it going to get to know a guy named Bubba soon.

F

franklin2003

Over and over and over again, it is SOOOOO damn EASY to catch STUPID criminals

They NEVER have any money to fix their car so they wont get pulled over.....!!!!!

-------------------
My best friend was pulled over in a truck that was not registered to him with a large amount of
meth, scale, baggies, and a couple of pipes. He was pulled over because of a light out on his
license plate, but then arrested because he had a suspended license and had warrants for
previous driving on a suspended license.

H

hmmbrdzz

"Also is there any chance that he can get away with saying that it wasn't his because the vehicle he was driving was not registered to him?"

====================================

And how long did you say this had been your best friend?
Are you new to the druggie scene or something?

hmmbrdzz

now that one was a new one over here....... or was it?

H

hgrego1015

"Upon arrest, the officers searched the vehicle, without asking him..."

You wrote this as if they had to ask. They did'nt. It was a search incident to arrest. The vehicle has to be impounded so therefore searched.

You gotta love those probable cause tickets. You see... that is what the tail light stop was. They could have cared less about the tail light. That serves as a can opener to open that big ole bucket of worms that criminals love to carry with them.

N

Not Guilty

PC for stop valid. Search incident to arrest, drugs legally seized. Prior failures to appear show accused is a flight risk. Move to lower bail. If scale has friends prints on it unlikely he can say contraband belonged to another. If friend has prior convictions or does not cooperate he is probably facing a stiff prison sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">