• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal possibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lkj900

What is the name of your state? Texas
Is it possible for someone with money to wrap everything up owned so that it can't be touched, say for instance have all property in his name or say it was a gift or inheritated and make it separate property instead of community?
Also, can I file in another county for fear that the courts here will show favoritism towards him because he's lived here all his life and has a lot of money in the county. If it makes any difference, he is an alcoholic. Thanks

B

Boxcarbill

lkj900 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Is it possible for someone with money to wrap everything up owned so that it can't be touched, say for instance have all property in his name or say it was a gift or inheritated and make it separate property instead of community?
Also, can I file in another county for fear that the courts here will show favoritism towards him because he's lived here all his life and has a lot of money in the county. If it makes any difference, he is an alcoholic. Thanks
Jurisdiction for divorce in Texas requires a resident of the state for 6 months and in the county for 90 days.

One can say just about what ever one chooses to say. Next question, can the person make what they say stick in a court of law?

In Texas, all property upon dissolution of the marriage is presumed to be community property. The burden of proof is upon the spouse claiming the property to be his or her separate property to trace and clearly prove that the property was acquired prior to marriage, was acquired after marriage through gift, devise or descent or that the property was for the recovery for personal injuries sustained by the spouse during marriage, except any recovery for loss of earning capacity during marriage.

I suggest that you get a lawyer in order to discover the property owned and to prevent the hiding, transferring or other wise disposing of community assets prior to the court dividing the estate of the parties.

L

lkj900

Using a different lawyer

ok, what if i want to use a lawyer in a different county because he's good and won't show him favoritism. how can i do that? and if you say that i can use him, but in my county, can he overpower these favoritsm tactics, if any?

B

Boxcarbill

Re: Using a different lawyer

lkj900 said:
ok, what if i want to use a lawyer in a different county because he's good and won't show him favoritism. how can i do that? and if you say that i can use him, but in my county, can he overpower these favoritsm tactics, if any?
You can use an attorney from a different county, provided the attorney is willing to come to your county. Attorneys regularly practice in neighboring or nearby counties. But if you want to hire a Bexar county attorney to come to El Paso, you better be prepared to pay the expense and additional fees to get an attorney to do that.

I don't how much favoritism you are talking about? I know that it is fairly common for people to be dissatisfied with the outcome of any divorce case. There is a saying, "If both parties are unhappy, then the Judge made a good ruling!" If the law is not followed; however, the decision can be appealed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">