• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/Sep Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vickie26

What is the name of your state? texas. during our marriage, i inherited money that was kept in a sole property checking account. from that account, i payed the deposit for the purchase of our home and also remodeling. i have clear records of doing this. can i still claim this as my sole property before dividing the community property on the sale of the house? (this is a no fault divorce)

B

Boxcarbill

Vickie26 said:
What is the name of your state? texas. during our marriage, i inherited money that was kept in a sole property checking account. from that account, i payed the deposit for the purchase of our home and also remodeling. i have clear records of doing this. can i still claim this as my sole property before dividing the community property on the sale of the house? (this is a no fault divorce)
The burden of proof is upon the party claiming separate property to trace and clearly prove that it is separate property. Inheritance is separate property and because the inheritance was placed in a separate account, there was no co-mingle of the separate property funds with community to property for the inheritance to lose its identity. Yes, you are entitled to reimbursement of your separate property which was used to enhance the community property estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">