• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitney'smom

What is the name of your state? Kansas I have been divorced from my ex-husband for over a year now. I the divorce our daughters medical bills were divided between the two of us. Now I am getting statements to pay bills for her that were not set aside for me to pay in the divorce. My ex-husband had given the creditor my new married name and new address and told them that I have to pay this bills that were not mine to pay as set in the divorce decree. My question is do I have to pay them since they were not set aside for me to pay in the divorce and he said he would be responsible for any other bills on her that were not listed at the time of the divorce.:confused:

M

montboss

who has custody of your daughter? you or him? if he does, and he's having the doc's bill you for the care of your daughter, call the doc's office and tell them that your ex has custody of your daughter and that you did not sign consent for this service. It is under the Fair Billing Credit Act. It is illegal. The doctor's office cannot legally bill a 3rd party without consent. They in turn will bill your husband for any medical bills incurred after the divorce was finalized. You may also ask if you should send a copy of the divorce decree to the doc office to back up what you are saying.
Just went thru this with my boyfriend's ex-wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">