• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

law suit settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knickknack

What is the name of your state? I live in NC but had a law suit in MS and received settlement on it. My attornies told me I did not, or should not have to pay taxes on it since it was not income compensation. No where on the paper work acccompaning the settlement check does it really state what it is for that I can locate. My attornies on the case said since I was constently going to the shrink and suffering from injuries casued or induced from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (self inflicted injuries during severe mental distress) I should not have to pay taxes on the settlement. the settlement was approx. $45,000 and I received it in Oct of this year. How do I find out if I have to pay taxes on it?

abezon

not taxable: damages/settlements paid for actual damages paid on account of physical injuries including emotional distress & loss of earnings.

taxable: damages/settlements paid for non-physical injuries such as discrimination, libel, harrassment, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">