• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Think I need an annullment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hoodwinked

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have been married for several years now, but have discovered that my wife was apparently already married in another country at the time of our marriage and probably still is. Members of her family approached me before we got married and mentioned her other "husband," but at the time I thought those were just ploys by her estranged family to turn me against her.

Since then, I have discovered that her citizenship certificate, received before we were married, clearly states "married." She has also been contacted by a member of her family indicating that her foreign husband is now in the US and causing problems for them and asking to be released from the marriage.

So, based on what I've read on this site, I believe I probably have grounds to request an annullment. A major complication, however, is that we have a child together. I realize this bleeds over into another area of the forum, but I'm hoping you can address my concerns about child custody as well. If we get an annullment, is child custody handled the same way it would be in a divorce? Her previous marriage is only one of a miriad of subjects that she's been dishonest with me about. Aside from that, I have serious doubts about her mental stability and ability to be a responsible parent. Even worse, I'm worried that if I put her out and she reunites with her family and has any access to our child, that he may be spirited out of the country.

What can I do?

B

Boxcarbill

hoodwinked said:
Anyone have any advice here?
Yes, I have some advice to your state of Maryland. They could provide a much better format for researching their statutes on the Internet. In fact, Maryland is the very worst that I have tried to use on the Internet. So with that in mind, my best advice is to see a lawyer in family law who is familiar with Maryland law.

I can give you only generalized information.

When there is a prior undissolved marriage, the subsequent marriage is void. How a void marriage is treated varies from state to state. However, when an applicant applies for a marriage license, the applicant is asked about any prior marriages and whether that marriage has been dissolved. Maryland is no exception in this regard.

Custody, visitations, and child support are essentially the same regardless of divorce or annulment.

As for fleeing the country with the child, the court can prevent this if the court feels that she is a flight risk.

H

hoodwinked

Thanks very much for the reply. I've kind of been figuring that the only real answers are going to come from seeing someone here. I just wanted to try and get an idea of what I can expect.

I'm still at that point where I'm scared of what might happen if I take that first step and get the ball rolling. I'm not real hopeful about my relationship with my wife, but I need to do everything I can to preserve the one with my child.

A

amc822

The Maryland State Law Library has an excellent website that includes the MD Annotated Code and Rules. http://www.lawlib.state.md.us/
Divorce is covered in Title 7 of the Family Law volume. If you live in Prince George's County there is a pro bono clinic in the courthouse I think the room number is 167M. You can call the law library for the hours. If you're not in PG County check with your local county court (I'd start with the law library) to see if they have a similar program.

H

hoodwinked

Thank you for the info on the law library. I'm not a lawyer, so I suspect I'm going to need a professional to help me make my way through this mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">