• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to respond to the dissolution papers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cd52381

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband recently sent me the Affidavit(s) for a Dissolution and something doesn't seem right about it. I don't want the divorce to begin with, so do I have to repond to them? He is the Plaintiff and only filled out a FEW sections of the paperwork, he did not fill out his income section. Not only did he NOT fill out certain parts of the papers he filled out stuff with PENCIL. Is this so he can change it later? I don't want this divorce right now--I'd rather wait until I am back home and have started my new job but that's not for a month or so. My husband is very deceitful and I realy don't trust him. The problem with the financial/income section of the Affidavit is that he's an independant contractor and gets paid cash for his work so he doesn't have any pay stubs. Not only that but he doesn't put it in the Bank he just keeps it in a lock box. I don't want him to make it look like he's poor because he makes really good money. I'm the one who doesn't make that great of money and I may very well need alimony.
My question is, I don't want to have to deal with this divorce right now because I want to move back home to deal with it. I currently live 3 hours away from my husband as I took a temporary job promotion and now if I want to move back into the house my husband says that I have to make the WHOLE entire house payment even though BOTH of our names are on the Home Loan (b/c of credit cards, etc) and if HE lives in the house then I have to pay HALF the house payment even though I'm not living in it. I have always paid half the house payment and helped pay the bills too. Not only that my husband and I shared a conversation not too long ago that I told him I can't wait to move back home and he said he can't wait either so I can move back and be his WIFE. 2 days later he sends a LETTER saying he doesn't want to be married anymore!! What can I do?? I just know my husband is going to be sneaky and deceitful throughout this whole thing.

This is a very deep-seeded problem and I really need to discuss this with someone further so if anyone would like to help me out please feel free to send me an e-mail because I can't afford a lawyer right now and could really use some friendly advice.

If anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks so much!

C

cd52381

Well, in just a few short hours this story has changed a bit. I talked to my husband today and he informed me that there is no rush with the paperwork. In addition to that he has agreed that if I live in the house I pay the whole payment and if he lives in the house HE pays the whole thing too. However, I will need spousal support b/c I cannot live in the house and make all the necessary payments with what I make. Will this be like swimming against a tidal wave if I ask for Spousal Support b/c he makes substantially much more money than I do?

Whyte Noise

Just a qucik question or 2...

These papers he sent you, were they a petition for dissolution filed through the courts? Or has it not been filed yet?

C

cd52381

Actually, I wasn't formally served by a court official or anything. My husband went to a Lawyer and got these papers that I guess are Affidavit's and he (my husband) just mailed them to me with a letter saying "Fill these out and send them back in a week" One says "Schedule E" and the other says "Schedue B". We both have to fill them out and put down income, assets and whatnot. I don't want to fill them out yet. I've got alot going on in my life right now and this is the least of my worries. He wanted this divorce not me.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask, and thank you!

usmcfamily

Get yourself an attorney! And please don't take your advice/direction from the person on the other side of the lawsuit (in this case your husband!) because when it comes down to it they aren't looking out for YOU ;) . Take the papers you have to an attorney and discuss the whole situation with them -- all future correspondence can also be reviewed by them ......... the reason I say this is I would hate to see him sneak something past you because if you fail to respond to certain documents his case will be granted by default (meaning he gets what he wants because you don't reply)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">