• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 years and still fighting!?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a neighbor

What is the name of your state? Maryland In 1999 I owed taxes for Federal, no problem, set a payment plan and everything was fine. 2000 I filed and paid my taxes to the tune of a little over $2000.00, still everything WAS ok. Later in the year I received a notice that I owed 10,000.00 due to the fact they claimed I made 30-40K more than I did. I know exactly how they came to the figure and have since pointed it out. Whomever input the figures added my uncles estate (the one where I get a 3000.00 credit every year), well they added the whole estate amount to my income and made my income way over what I really made for that year.

In the meantime I paid my 1999 tax bill on time every month, then came the day they credited a 1999 payment to the year 2000, along with the 300 the president gave us that year. So in essence they now had me showing a "no-pay" for 1999, even tho I still paid and requested an accounting once the billing stopped. Little did I know the 1999 account went to collections, but I still was paying.

I've filled out and sent in all the forms they requested, never heard anything back, they act like they never got them. So now I receive a notice of Levy of wages from my employers finance center for the remainder of 1999, and the 2000 taxes which I don't owe. I admit to owing some monies for 1999, less payments credited to the year 2000 (balance would be less than 600). But I do not owe for the year 2000.

So where do I turn? Should I contact the Chair of the MD's Senate Finance Committee?? I can't stand calling the IRS anymore, they can be very nasty, funny they act different when they know you've taken their employee # down for reference. Any ideas?:eek:

A

a neighbor

thanks abezon, I had an advocate, never returned phone calls, never asked for my paper work, in fact he used their figures, never asked to see my original taxes, and decided I only owed 9000.00. So that was no help.

If in fact I do get a tax attorney and I am proven right, will I get attorney expenses back? I figure my last resort is to take this to the news and/or the oversight committee on taxes.

In addition I don't understand how they can just say were going to garish wages when there is a clear dispute over this? One day I'll be able to laugh at this, but currently finding no humor in this at all. I guess I'll find some valiums and head down to thier office, them saying I owe 10 grand when I don't tends to make me combative!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">