• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption....name change...help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

antoinette1017

What is the name of your state? NY I have a few questions that I am hoping to have answered. In my state does the mother of the child need permission to have her childs last name changed. My 2 1/2 year old has my last name. He has not seen his bio dad in 2 1/2 years abd has been raised by my boyfriend. We are getting married soon and we want to change his name to his last name. I know the bio dad won't allow it because he is very difficult. I was also wondering if we could have my son adopted by my boyfriend even if the bio dad won't sign the papers? I know that he would never sign over his rights or allow my boyfriend to adopt my son but this is very important to me. How do I go about doing this. The bio dad has not worked 7 years he smokes marijuana and drinks, he has two violent felonies, he has not seen the baby for 2 1/2 years he has never paid any child support. Would a judge actually allow him visitation. I don't want my so to be around him. I was the stupid one for getting involved with such an animal when it went against everything I believed in. Please help clarify all this for me.:( :(

Seanscott

If your ex hasn't paid support or visited the child in 2 1/2 years, you should try to terminate his parental rights due to abandonment. If the violent felonies were against members of his family, that is a big strike against him.

After you've been remarried for awhile (in Indiana it's one year), your husband will file a "petition to adopt" with your consent. Your ex will have to explain to a judge why he hasn't been a parent to your child, and why he should be allowed a chance now.

The stepparent adoption laws were designed for cases exactly like yours. Go get a consultation with a family attorney.

It may be difficult & stressful, but you have a very winnable case for termination of parental rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">