• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can he get a divorce I don't want

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nlhjcaa

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband just informed me that he is getting a divorce and moving out. I don't want this divorce but he says i can't stop him. Is he right?

B

Boxcarbill

nlhjcaa said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband just informed me that he is getting a divorce and moving out. I don't want this divorce but he says i can't stop him. Is he right?
If Michigan's "no fault divorce" is anything like "no fault divorce" in Texas, then, no, you cannot stop him.

VeronicaGia

FYI - I live in MI

and was divorced in 1990 (have since remarried).

He at first did not want to sign the papers. I took what I wanted from the house (that was in his name) and left. There was no dispute over property, no children, etc.

My lawyer told him that whether he signed the papers or not, the divorce would indeed happen. It might just take a while longer, but simply because he refused to sign didn't mean there would be no divorce.

If there are property disputes, child custody or support issues in your situation, I'm sure he can still get a divorce, it's just a matter of time. MI is, in fact, a no-fault state to the best of my knowledge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">