• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 for spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

og719

Divorced in MS in Nov 2002. I understand that CS is not a tax issue. Settlement does not address tax liabilities regarding spousal support, so I am working on the theory that it's income for her and deductible for me. Do I owe her a Form 1099 for the court ordered amount paid? The support order was dated in June, but the divorce not final until November. Should I deduct the entire amount, or only that portion after the final decree?

Thanks!

abezon

You do not need to file a 1099. Your alimony is whatever you paid minus the court ordered child support (limited to the amount the court ordered you to pay. You can deduct the alimony paid in June - Nov if the judge would have thrown you in jail for refusing to pay it. If the alimony was ordered under a temporary support order, deduct it. If you just started paying the agreed-on alimony before you had to, you can't deduct it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">