• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survivor's benefits and taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie2101

What is the name of your state?
Arkansas

My son receives survivor's benefits and I am wondering if I have to file a tax return for him? He is only 9 and has no other income. The payments are deposited directly into my checking account and the money is used for his support and household expenses.

I also receive some widow's benefits and understand that a portion of this income could be taxable if 1/2 of the amount plus my wages exceeds $25,000.

This is the first time I have had to confront this issue as my husband died in November 2001 and benefits did not start until January 2002.

Thank you for your help.

abezon

Your son doesn't have to file a return. Your SS is not taxable unless your AGI is over $25,000.

Your filing status for 2002 & 2003 tax years is Qualifying Widow, assuming you haven't remarried by 12/31/2003. After that, you'll be head of household.

maggie2101

Thank you abezon, one more question though--my husband and I never filed a joint return, only married filing separately. With that in mind I changed my withholding at the beginning of 2002 to head of household status. Was this a mistake? I researched the situation after he died and for some reason it seemed that head of household was the way to go. I don't recall why now.

abezon

Qualifying widow:
Your spouse died in 2000 or 2001
You were entitled to file a joint return with him (whether you did or not)
You did not remarry before the end of the tax year
You paid more than 1/2 the cost of maintaining your home
Your home was the main home of your child for the entire year.

You could also amend your 2001 taxes & file a joint return with him as a surviving spouse. Usually, a joint return yields more money than MFS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">