• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i want my name back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tsanders2003

What is the name of your state? hawaii

i want to return to my maiden name, but the name change is not stated in the divorce decree. i still have a valid driver's license with my maiden name, but everything else is in my married name. can i just use my driver's license to redo everything in my maiden name, or do i have to go through some legalities?

VeronicaGia

You will need to ask the court when you get divorced to be able to return to your maiden name. When I got divorced in 1990, the judge asked me, but that's not to say he/she will ask you.

M

MaggieK

If your divorce is final and you have a final judgment which doesnot stipulate a name change , then you did not opt in the petition to change your name. Call a paralegal or your clerk of court in your area and ask about filing a petition for name change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">