• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not married, owned home for 6 years, been together 8 yrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

8years

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

Q: My boyfriend and I of 8 years have owned our home now for the last 6 years this month (both names are on the mortgage). We decided that we wanted to repair our home and have it up for sale no later then April 2003 we have also decided that we need time apart and that one of us needed to move out in order to gain that space between us. The one who moved out would pay for their place and the one that stayed would pay the mortgage. It was decided that I would leave so that he could start the home improvements ASAP (months worth of work).

What should I do in order to protect my investment? Should we have this in writing just in case the one who stays decides after all not to sell and tries to say that the one who left the property wasn't abandoning it and if so is there a form available? What are my rights with my name being on that mortgage?

D

djprice

Your house is your investment too..

Being of sound mind and average intelligence, if I were in your shoes again, I would stay in the house, deal with the riff in the relationship until all repairs and modifications are complete then sell the house while you two are still together split the profit and separate. You are going to create a hell of alot of trouble for yourself by moving out, and possibly forfeit your right to ownership down the road.

stephenk

the mere act of moving out does not result in you losing whatever ownership or value you have in the house. an initial consultation with a family law attorney will confirm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">