• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Accountant/ Customer Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walkerdavis

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am working overseas and I am not in a "hypo-tax" situation. I corresponded with a tax accountant on doing my taxes and sent him some questions. I was later asked by a co-worker (finance manager) if I was aware that emails were circulating all through our corporate tax department with my name in the subject. Apparently the accountant that I sent the questions to forwarded them to my company to ask their opinion without my knowledge. I consider my taxes private and see this as a breech of trust. Is this ethical? Are there any privacy laws in place to prevent this? My questions are now a matter of record in my companies email system. I have since informed him that I will no longer require his services. However, I am wondering if he is now going to try to charge me for time spent (he did send me an email letting me know my estimated tax payment prior to all this so some work has been performed).

abezon

Whether this is unethical depends on the TX rule of conduct for CPAs. Write the state board & file a formal complaint. He can charge you for work done, but you might be able to sue him for breach of fiduciary duty/disclosing private information without authorization/emotional distress. I'd call it a wash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">