• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unexpected bequest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angharad

I live in Delaware.

I have just received a bequest of $100,000: $60,000 in cash and $40,000 in 1,200 shares of stock of a large banking corporation. I've been given a choice to convert the stocks to cash.

I am the sole caretaker of my handicapped mother, and have been for 14 years. As a consequence, I no longer have taxable income or any significant savings or investments. I am, therefore, hesitant to speculate with this windfall.

Would there be any negative tax ramifications if I convert the stocks to cash? Or is the entire $100,000. exempt from tax regardless of what form it is in.

Thank you for your time.

abezon

The only tax ramifications would be if you sold the stocks at a profit. I recommend you see a financial advisor who can take your situation & risk tolerance into account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">