• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dsitribution of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

STheno

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

We were married in Mexico ten years ago. Neither of us had our divorce papers from our previous marriages which the Mexican officials said was necessary, but ignored. I had to use my maiden name (from my birth certificate). Is this a legal marriage?

As well, financial accounts have always been separate. I have unequivocal proof that I used my money to buy and maintain the home we share. With the exception of one bill monthly, I pay all other bills associated with maintaining this property. Some of the contents were from before we were married and they were mine. Any of the contents after we were married was purchased by me.

As well, as well, I inherited a substantial amount of money at the beginning of last year. Last May, I bought a lake home with part of it. Hind sight is 20-20, but the deed is in both of our names. There is no mortgage as it was a cash transaction. I again, can easily prove where the money came from. The only contribution my husband has made to this property is to put a cement floor in the garage and pay for the LP gas for a few months. As I can easily prove where the money came from to purchase this property, as well as contents, and because the money paid was my inheritance, does he have any claim to it, other than perhaps what little he has put into it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">