• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

special needs child adopted 2002

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robinvenner

tennessee
we adopted a special needs child in 2002. we paid very little in adoption fees. ($20) Will the new tax credit apply to us?:confused:

abezon

If the special needs child meets the IRS definition, you get the $10,000 credit regardless of how much you actually spent.
1. child must be a US citizen or resident
2. determined by state to be unlikely to be adopted & can't be returned to natural parents' home.

R

robinvenner

Thank you so much.
And you are sure that it can for an adoption in 2002? I am sure he meets special needs.

abezon

Yes, if the adoption was completed in 2002 or later. However, 'I'm sure he meets special needs' is not sufficient. You need a state certification of some kind. A statement from a social worker, a finding from DCS, etc.

R

robinvenner

again thanks and I do have proper paperwork. this is wonderful news

and thank you for your time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">