• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult adoption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnsdaughter

What is the name of your state? ny
im 23 years old and i have just got out of a bad home in wv and i was took in by a wonderful family that have became just like my parents is their anyway my dad can adopt me since i am over 18 and if yes how can we go by doing this? my real father did not want me and told me i was not his i was declared a ******* in the courts will that be a problem?

Last edited:

C

craftymom

momma-tiger
Sometimes it's an emotional thing (i.e. having a closer bond/ parent-child relationship with someone other than legal parents). Sometimes, it's a legal thing, where it is of benefit to be declared the "living heir".

johnsdaughter
At the age of 25, I wanted to be able to have my step-mother adopt me (she was, and is, more of a mother to me than my own mother ever was, or is). The attornies I contacted all told me the same thing---even as an adult, the signatures of the biological parents are still required for the adoption to go through.

J

johnsdaughter

thank you

thank you for replying to my question the reason i want to be adopted by my new dad is cause he has been the only man in my life that has ever wanted to be my dad he took me out of a abusive home and showed me love and became a father to me and his wife and daughters did the same but some times i have a hard time with it since i dont really belong to them they say it dose not matter but if he could adopt me it would give me peace of mind and people that dont understand seem to like to throw it in my face that i dont really belong to the family but to get to the point i just want to carry the name of the man that is to me my real father and always will be i can not help that god waited untill i was 23 to give me a real family that loves me but it feels good to finaly be safe and to be able to call someone dad without being afraid he is going to hurt me

P

pippi2077

What about doing just a name change?

You can do this on your own. My cousins have both changed their last names and one even changed his middle. They had their birth fathers last name and the one had his birth fathers first name as his middle name. They had to wait until they were 18. They started waiting to change it about 3 years ago or so. They actually went by their first step fathers name for a while and then switched to my uncles last name after they got married. You don't have to have permission to do this. Stefanie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">