• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarahsteph

What is the name of your state? California. I have been claiming my daughter for the last 7 years on my taxes. Her Dad & I were never married. We both have joint custody. It has never been determined who has the right to claim her on their taxes. I have never received any support from her father. She lives with me more than her Dad and I provide her with medical, dental, daycare, etc. Her dad is married & I believe that they have been claiming her on their taxes as well as possibly getting welfare. I am more entitled to claim her than her dad? If so, what can I do to protect myself in a Court Hearing? Thank you!!!!!!

abezon

If the parents were never married, only the parent who paid more than 50% of the child's support may legally claim the child as a dependent. If you're both trying to claim her, the IRS will notice very quickly! Be sure her school & medical records indicate that she lives with you. As for state aid, it's his fraud; it's his court hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">