• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claming Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mars Is Me

What is the name of your state? NJ
I got divorced in 1994 and my divorce degree states that my ex and are to
alternate years claiming our two daughters( one year I claim M and the next year I claim J ).
I 1995 CS was $308.00 a week of which I pay $287.00 and my ex pays to herself
$21.00 for a total of $308.00.
My ex has the children over 50% of the time.
I heard that if you pay over 50% of the child support, I may be able to claim both children ( of course with a court
order, changing the divorce settlement), is this right or wrong?
My daughter M will turn 18 this year
in Aug. and 19 next Aug.
I'm claiming J this year for 2002.

abezon

The divorce decree sets who can claim the kids. If you want to claim them, you'll have to get the decree changed. The 50% rule applies to parents who were never married.

The tax year the kid turns 19, the decree no longer applies & only the parent who provides more than 50% of the support may claim the child (& and education credits). If you're going to pay for college, try to get the exemption for the younger child switched to you. Then just keep track of how much you pay for the older child's college (tuition, room & board, travel, etc). Compare this to how much support mom provides (housing, food, gifts, etc) to see if you can claim both kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">