• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Semi-Complex Divorce/Marriage Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

think309

What is the name of your state? Indiana.

Okay, my fiancee is an illegal immigrant from Mexico, was married at the age of 15 to someone else who ended up being an extreme alchoholic (but not abusive), left him (who was also here illegally), and is now with me for the past 2 years. They were married for 7 years and their marriage failed to produce any children. We (her and I) have produced a child in the 2 years we have been together. We are wanting her old marriage either annuled or divorced, but are unsure of how to do it. She is illegal here so we don't think she will qualify for residency that Indiana requires for divorce. To make matters worse, we think he has returned to Mexico, but we aren't sure.

If it helps matters any, there were married in the state of Michoacan.

Also, is there any waiting period before we may become married following her divorce/annulment?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since there are immigration issues at play here as well, I would really suggest you speak with an attorney - you'll need someone who either has knowledge of immigration issues or has access to someone who does.

nailtech

somewhere I read that when a woman come into the US and gives birth that she also becomes a US citizen.. I was thinking thats why they all come on this side of the border to give birth I know that it makes the child a US citizen... I will have to research it when I get home from work tonight for ya to make sure...

if not, it may qualify her for a green card easier...

a couple of questions,....... where were they married, in the US or Mexico??

if in the US did she have parental concent to get married??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">