• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domesticating Texas Divorce-Decree in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marygold

What is the name of your state? Michigan (but Texas Divorce-Decree)

Hello,

Here is my problem in a nut shell:

1) Was Divorced in June 2000 In texaS. Ex-Spouse was ordered to pay Child-Support and Alimony.

2) Ex-spouse has not lived in Texas since 2000, left the state after divorce and never returned, never saw children again. I also relocated out of Texas in 2000.

3) In 2001, Ex-spouse stoped paying alimony but continued child-support. I could not locate Ex-spouse, a Self-employed private Pilot - who likes to hide and jump states. In April 2002, Ex-Spouse took me to court in Texas for modifiction of Alimony and child support and I agreed to go to Texas since Ex-spouse subjected themselves to jurisdiction somewhere; It was a total mess getting all the way from Boston, MA to Texas. I took bad advice from my Lawyer due to the fact he didn't want to keep going back to court and waived dicovery. Well, they gave Ex-Spouse the modication of Child support that was knocked down more than 75% less a month with NO bank statements, NO tax returns - just a signed contract for a certain hourly rate for a 6 month flying Job. They only gave me child support for 6 months of his income, they thought Ex-Spouse could vaction for 6 months I guess. They gave me the judgement for the amount he owed totaling over 40k and now with the additional adding up it's aprox 80k behind.

4) I recently found out that Ex-Spouse has been in Michigan for almost a year and I came to Michigan 4 months ago with our children. Ex-spouse lives at a distance of only 4 hours away from where I live. I have no interest in going back to court in Texas and badly want to to have the case tranfered to Michigan.

5) My questions are as follows:

A) How can I enforce the Texas Money Judgement in Michigan?

B) Do I have to have hire a Texas Attroney to file for a motion to tranfer jurisdiction/Domesticate the foreign Divorce decree from Texas to Michigan?

C) Can I just take the Texas Divorce decree to the court house in Michigan and file the decree here or is it more of a COMPLICATED animal than that and how much is involved?

D) What county do I file in here - where Ex-Spouse is located and where the money is at OR the county where the myself and our children reside?

E) I located Ex-Spouse who is living in a very expensive Golf Club Apartment community paying a rent that is 4 times my monthly child support. This means Ex-Spoused lied in court in Texas about not making the same income due to the ecomony. What can I do to get my child support back to orginal amount and make the court find Ex-Spouse in Big trouble for lying to the Court/Judge?

F) I want to find a way not to give my ex-spouse any notification of domestication proceedings (in Michigan) as ex-spouse will leave the state before any court hearing is assigned.

G) What are my options and other alternative options?

Please reply to all my queries.

Thanks in advance,

marygold

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">