• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

default divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

banfi

What is the name of your state? New York

My boyfriend has been legally separated for 8 years. He and his "wife" have one child 9 years old. In July 2002 he served her with divorce papers. She did not respond at all. Now he is going for "default". I am told this will take time in the courts to get a judge to sign off and finalize the divorce. All aspects of the legal seperation have been upheld. They have never been back to court, she has never made a legal complaint, and he fulfulls his obligations financially. Never missed a child support payment.
We are waiting to get married. Its been almost one year now!!
Does a default divorce usually take this long? He is a good father. I am so tired of waiting to start our life. It is a strain on our relationship. Please advise.

1. How long does default process take?
2. Any chance of the judge not signing?
3. How long after the judge signs do we have papers in our hand so that we can marry in a church?
4. We want to get married asap. Can the lawyer give us some type of proof that the divorce is final so we can apply for marriage licence or do we have to wait for actual divorce papers.
5.Does the court notify this "wife" and let her know the default process is going thru? or does she just get papers mailled to her one day?
6. His lawyer requested husband's w2 for last year. Will they increase his child support payments? They have not been increased in 8 years and yes his income has gone up a bit.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">