• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which Man Is My Husband "LEGALLY"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Denise Brown

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am legally married in the state of Ohio, and I have just been told that I am not married to my legal husband, because I am commoning married to my childrens father by common law in the state of Penn..

My childrens father and I were living together for 16 years, and we were pass off as husband and wife outside of our home and in the eyes of other people. We even had joint accounts in his last name together, plus we sign papers as husband and wife for assistance years ago.

We never had a ceremony for a legal marriage, we only lived together as husband and wife, for the sake of our children and the love we had for each other.

So, What I would like to know is, am I married to my legal husband in Ohio? or Am I still married to my common law husband in Penn. Please tell me which one of my marriages exist.

:confused:

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Denise Brown said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am legally married in the state of Ohio, and I have just been told that I am not married to my legal husband, because I am commoning married to my childrens father by common law in the state of Penn..

My childrens father and I were living together for 16 years, and we were pass off as husband and wife outside of our home and in the eyes of other people. We even had joint accounts in his last name together, plus we sign papers as husband and wife for assistance years ago.

We never had a ceremony for a legal marriage, we only lived together as husband and wife, for the sake of our children and the love we had for each other.

So, What I would like to know is, am I married to my legal husband in Ohio? or Am I still married to my common law husband in Penn. Please tell me which one of my marriages exist.

:confused:

My response:

You're not the only one who is confused by these antiquated "common law" marriage laws. Most attorneys and judges are confused; i.e., what exactly are the criteria? What are the exceptions? And the argument rages on . . .

I believe these laws have outlived their usefulness, and should be abolished.

Anyway, read the following link and come to your own determination on your issue.

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://www.angstrom.net/~normac/clminfo.html

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">