• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yorocko

What is the name of your state? Washington/Oregon

I live in Portland, Or I also have a residence across the river in Washington.

I filed a theft claim on my vehicle with my insurance company. Since then they have taken action as if I was involved with the theft of my car. They have gone through all of my personal information looking for any clues linking me to this implied fraud; including going through my cell phone log and calling the out going calls asking the receivers of the calls questions in a manner heavily suggestive to the regards I might of had a criminal part in stealing my own car. My car was recovered a few days after I filed my claim and police report, completely wiped clean of all its parts, interior and exterior. They did retrieve some documents which included a client's name and number on them and contacted him, again heavily suggesting with their manner of questioning that I might have played a role in this crime.

My question is; do I have grounds for slander or defamation of character with the implications of their questions?

In my business my trustworthiness plays an important role and even though my insurance company did not tell anyone I stole my car directly, the impression the individuals being contacted are getting is that I played a role in the theft of my vehicle and I did not.

What can I do?

B

Boxcarbill

yorocko said:
What is the name of your state? Washington/Oregon

I live in Portland, Or I also have a residence across the river in Washington.

I filed a theft claim on my vehicle with my insurance company. Since then they have taken action as if I was involved with the theft of my car. They have gone through all of my personal information looking for any clues linking me to this implied fraud; including going through my cell phone log and calling the out going calls asking the receivers of the calls questions in a manner heavily suggestive to the regards I might of had a criminal part in stealing my own car. My car was recovered a few days after I filed my claim and police report, completely wiped clean of all its parts, interior and exterior. They did retrieve some documents which included a client's name and number on them and contacted him, again heavily suggesting with their manner of questioning that I might have played a role in this crime.

My question is; do I have grounds for slander or defamation of character with the implications of their questions?

In my business my trustworthiness plays an important role and even though my insurance company did not tell anyone I stole my car directly, the impression the individuals being contacted are getting is that I played a role in the theft of my vehicle and I did not.

What can I do?
No you cannot sue them for an investigation, which includes you, of a possible insurance fraud. In fact, you would be surprised just how many insurance frauds--arsons to thefts--do involve the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">