• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depreciation After 5/6/1997??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Extortion

What is the name of your state? SC

I sold a property that was 1/3 residential and 2/3 rental in 2002. In reviewing Pub 523 I see, in their example of calculation of selling in the Business Use or Rental of Home, where they refer to exclusion and taxable gain where they have a line item "Depreciation after May 6, 1997."

Did something happen to change the tax law regarding handling depreciation at that time?

Does that mean I would only have to list the depreciation I have taken since May 6, 1997 (or was allowable) in my calculations to determine gain on the business portion of the sale?

I have had part of my house in rental since 1989.

Thank you for your assistance.

abezon

Yes, you only have to recapture depreciation claimed since 5/97. Depreciation of a personal residence from prior years is not recaptured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">