• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can claim kid in college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tulicchic

What is the name of your state?TX

Divorced April 2002. My ex and I have a son that was away at college from Jan-May and Sept-Dec 2002.

I pd. approx. 80% living expenses from Jan-May; son pd. 20%. Ex pd. auto and health ins.

Son live with ex June-Aug.

I pd. 1/2 of son's expenses Sept.-Dec. Son pd. other 1/2.

There is nothing in divorce decree about who claims him. We have another son my ex is already claiming. Although I believe I have pd. more than 50% of his expenses for the year, I pd. most of them in cash (gave to son every month). Ex has informed me he is claiming him, and refuses to negotiate any way to resolve conflict. Should I just go ahead and claim him and let the IRS figure it out?

abezon

Yes. Get a statement from your son first that you gave him cash of $xxxx during the year, he paid $xxxx of his own expenses, and dad gave him $xxxx. Then be sure to file first so the IRS gives you the deductions originally!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">