• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC / Form 1065 - Do I have to file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maccer

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I filed papers to create an LLC in April 2002 thinking I was going to start a computer programming business. I'm the only principal, this is not a partnership. I filed in Louisiana and requested an (EIN) from Uncle Sam as well. The IRS promptly sent me a letter with an EIN and stated I'd need to file Form 1065 with my return. To make a long story shorter, the business never materialized, no services ever offered, no transactions, no income, no expenses. With that said, I'd like to simply file my personal return with TurboTax Deluxe as I have for the last 3 years and get my refund back quickly thru electronic filing -- but they don't even have form 1065 included. So, on to my question... do I even have to file a form 1065 or mention it in my returns if no transactions occured? Or do I have to file that form as well with my personal returns. If the latter is true, is there any software product that I can use electronically.... or will I have to prepare this by hand. Thanks for any advice.... :)

Last edited:

abezon

A single shareholder LLC is taxed as a sole proprietorship -- on Sch.C. File Sch.C with the EIN you got and list no income. You can still deduct the costs of incorporating (over 5 years). Also, check with LA to see if you need to file notice of no activity on the state level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">