• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents paying house down payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xeifrank

What is the name of your state? California

My parents want to pay $53K of the downpayment for the new house I am purchasing. Can this money travel from their bank accounts to my escrow, without having any tax implications brought on by the gift tax law which states that my 2 parents can give myself and my spouse (non US citizen) each $11K, which would be a maximum of $44K, leaving me $9K short.

Any ideas on how I can achieve my goal?

Thanks,

Xeifrank

abezon

They just file a 706 gift tax return and declare they gave your spouse $22,000 and gave the rest to you. The don't pay any taxes; they just use up $9,000 of their lifetime gift/estate tax exclusion.

X

xeifrank

abezon said:
They just file a 706 gift tax return and declare they gave your spouse $22,000 and gave the rest to you. The don't pay any taxes; they just use up $9,000 of their lifetime gift/estate tax exclusion.
Do I have to declare the extra $9K as income on my tax return?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">