• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dependants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

normagi

What is the name of your state? Delaware

My husband and I have a debate over how we should claim dependants on our payroll each week.

I claim Single with 0 dependants during the year then claim married with 1 dependant at the end of the year and get a refund every year.

He claims married with 1 dependant during the year and the same at the end of the year and has to pay almost every year.

Can you tell us what is the smarter thing to do? Adn is the way I am claiming legal?

Thank you very much for your time.

abezon

However you claim is legal, as long as you don't owe more than $1,000 at the end of the year. If you do, the IRS will want you to pay more or pay a penalty for underpayment throughout the year. Which is better depends on whether you can save up enough money to cover the taxes or whether you need the gov't to force you to save.

Are you filing married separate? If so, that is hurting you both far more than any withholding decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">