• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong amounts on W2?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Long story short...

Today I received a W2 from my husband's previous employer (did not leave on best of terms) and the amounts are wrong. The company's bookkeeper was just fired and arrested for embezzlement. His W2 shows a substantial income, which is not what he made, in comparison with the YTD amounts on the check stubs and also by adding up each check. I contacted the employer and he stated that yes the YTD amounts were wrong on the stubs. However, I added up the amounts from each individual paycheck, gross amount, amount withheld for taxes and such and find that the YTD amount is correct, and the W2 is wrong. I want to file my taxes but with using the amounts on the W2 we end up owing taxes whereas we should be getting a refund. Now what?

abezon

Take the paystubs & copies of the checks to the employer and request he issue a corrected W-2. If he won't, you'll have to be prepared to prove to the IRS that your employer reported more income than you received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">