• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

still waiting for w-2's

• Thread starter Michael Kendall
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michael Kendall

**ILLINOIS**
i am still waiting on my w-2's. my ex-employer is a very un-motivated person. i had to ask for my check damn near every week. (on the possitive side, sometimes i'd ask early) reguardless... i still have not got my w-2? now what?
mike.

JETX

I would suggest that you ask him very politely for the W-2 to be provided "within the next few days", or that you will have to contact the IRS about his failure to provide as required.

Then, if he doesn't provide, call the IRS.

T

Thomas234

It is my understanding that employers are required to "mail" W-2's by January 31st of each year. However that does not mean that they are required to get it to you by January 31. Assuming this guy put it in the mail at the last minute, midnight of January 31st, I would think you should receive it within a week?

If you don't get it by Feb 7th or so, then I would follow the advice given by JETX and raise hell.

M

Michael Kendall

w-2's in feb

i did recieve my w-2's and they were post marked feb-3

Q

qheart

My W-2 Story

Sorry, but I had to share this after reading your W-2 story, because I know how ya feel! Normally my W-2 would be here no later than maybe 02 or 03 Feb., but this year, I sat here until the afternoon of the 7th, wondering where the heck mine was. I contacted employer and was told they were sent out. Well, you know the government...ha! I finally received it yesterday, 7th, but it seems that my W-2 had a nice little trip, before it got to me.

Some dummy sent it to the wrong address to begin with, then that person mailed it to Central FLORIDA, for some ignorant reason. I live in Northeastern Georgia. From Florida it was mailed to another address...don't ask me why, I don't know....and from there it was yet again mailed to ANOTHER address. It was a temp address in Philadelphia! Thank goodness this lady had enough sense to actually look on the envelope and read the address..haha! She actually took the time to put the darn thing in an another envelope, addressed it to me, and then mailed it, buying the stamp to do so.... instead of returning it to DeCA, or somewhere else. Most people wouldn't have done that. They would have either returned it to DeCA, or would have thrown it in the garbage without a second thought!

When I received this envelope, finally, I thought it was more junk mail, as I had no idea of who lived in that Florida City, or in Philadelphia. I let it lay there for at least three or four hours before I opened it and came close to trashing it..ha! Imagine my shock to open this up and it was my darn W-2's!!! I couldn't believe it. And the lady even wrote me a nice little note on the outside of the envelope.

So, I plan to drop her a quick note and thank her! What she did went beyond the call of duty and I definitely appreciate it. I filed my taxes today and it is all done and out of the way!!!

Isn't that wild? :D

Last edited:
M

Michael Kendall

pointless law

i wonder how much money was spent on actualy making it (w-2) due by any date. it seems pointless if citizens are the police because i for one move immediatly to getting my money once i have gotten the w-2. maybe they should be notarized and the irs can fine people when they get an out dated w-2?...who knows. thanks everyone for sharring my frustration. mike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">